• 24/06/2022
  • By binternet
  • 1600 Views

How to properly clean silver jewelry?<

Important things to know about sterling silver

Many people are reluctant to clean their sterling silver jewelry for fear of accidentally ruining it. However, the reality is that silver is a much more forgiving metal than one would think at first glance.

How to properly clean silver jewelry silver?

Here are some important facts about sterling silver that you should keep in mind if you decide to clean your own silver:


Sterling silver is an alloy

Sterling silver is an alloy, which means that it is not 100% silver, but rather made of two or more metals. The majority of sterling silver is 92.5% real silver. The remaining 7.5% can be made up of several different metals.


It varies in value

Although sterling silver is not 100% silver, its high silver content means that its value fluctuates with the value of the metal. As you can imagine, pure silver has a higher value than sterling silver.


It is stronger than pure silver

Sterling silver is stronger than pure silver because it is an alloy. The added metals that are present in sterling silver increase its strength.


Pure silver is a relatively soft metal, which means it is susceptible to scratches, dents and bends. Keep in mind that sterling silver is tougher than pure silver, allowing it to withstand more stress.


It is relatively hypoallergenic

Although sterling silver is not pure silver and is mixed with other types of metals, the most common type of metal it is mixed with is copper. Mixing copper and silver is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction, unlike their nickel and brass counterparts.


It is therefore one of the safest types of jewelry to wear, as its components are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.


How to prevent tarnished silver cleaning

While it's impossible to completely avoid it, there are things you can do to prevent your silver from tarnishing quickly. The following tips will help delay the overall tarnishing process and ensure that your jewelry is in its best condition for as long as possible.


Clean your jewelry after wearing it

After wearing your silver jewelry, you can use warm water and a cloth to wipe it down before storing. This is a quick and easy step that can be incorporated into your daily routine to help slow the dulling process as much as possible.


Remove your braces before cooking

Removing your rings when cooking or doing the dishes is a good habit to get into, as it maintains the longevity of your jewelry. Cooking oils and other ingredients can speed up the tarnishing process if they come into contact with your silver jewelry.


Store your jewelry in the right place

Be aware of how you choose to store your sterling silver. The main thing to avoid is humidity, as it exponentially speeds up the dulling process. Be sure to store your silver jewelry in a jewelry box or enclosed space that is not too hot.


How to clean silver jewelry

Professional jewelers clean your tarnished silver jewelry using a cloth and cleaning solution. It is a formula created specifically for silver jewelry. The cloths are 100% cotton and contain a form of anti-tarnish oil. They also use a solution that jewelry can be immersed in.


Best Ways to Clean Your Silver Jewelry Yourself

Although professionals do it in a very specific way, there are different ways to clean silver jewelry. Here are some of the best ways to clean silver jewelry at home:


Baking soda paste

Baking soda is the king of cleaning, and it's no different when it comes to cleaning sterling silver jewelry. Baking soda paste is easy to make at home and a surefire way to clean your silver.


Simply add a spoonful of baking soda to half a spoonful of water. You want two parts baking soda to one part water. Mix it until it forms a paste. Then all you have to do is rub the paste in and apply it in all the crevices. Once the chain, ring, bracelet or earring has been completely covered in paste, rinse and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.